Helping First-Time Offenders In The Eastern District Of North Carolina With Deferral Programs

Facing A First-Time Offense In Raleigh? You May Be Eligible For A Deferred Prosecution Agreement

The penalties associated with an offense involving drugs or alcohol in North Carolina can be steep. However, authorities realize that in certain instances, individuals who are otherwise law abiding citizens should not be penalized to the full extent of the law and face repercussions in perpetuity.

Instead, the state of North Carolina has implemented a deferral program for certain offenders in certain situations.

How Do The Deferral Programs In North Carolina Work?

In basic terms, the penalties associated with a crime for first time offenders will essentially be deferred, allowing an individual an opportunity to complete alternative program requirements instead of the jail time associated with the offense.

If offenders fulfill all requirements under the program, their charges and penalties will be dismissed. Expungement may also be possible, depending on the circumstances.

  • Misdemeanor offenders: Individuals who are facing first-time misdemeanor charges typically must complete 75 hours of community service and have no additional encounters with the law for at least 6 months.
  • Felony offenders: Individuals facing first-time felony charges will need to complete 225 hours with no additional encounters with the law for at least 12 months.

Offenders facing drug charges, however, may also be required to attend treatment programs and random drug testing along with the other stipulations stated above.

Questions? Contact Our Firm Today

If you have specific questions about your individual circumstance, reach out to our firm today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced criminal defense lawyers to talk about the program in greater detail and eligibility.

Our attorneys have extensive expertise handling both state and federal offenses for those located all throughout the Eastern District of North Carolina.

Let us help you. Call 919-741-4825 or send us an email.